UBX is seeking an in-house General Counsel to manage our legal affairs and play an important role in our compliance efforts. General Counsel will play a key role in our rapidly growing ventures, partnering to help build and evolve our value propositions, potentially expand to new jurisdictions, all while balancing business objectives and legal risk across the regulated sectors in which we operate.The role is ideal for an attorney who enjoys negotiating and reviewing legal transactions but is also looking for a broader and strategic role in a growing organization.
UBX is both a corporate venture studio and venture fund:
- We are incubating and bringing to commercialization and scale ventures that are wholly or majority owned by UBX in our venture studio.
- We are investing into emerging financial technology companies, typically at the seed to series A stage. Our investment activities include follow-on investment and potential liquidity events.
For our venture fund, this role involves coordinating and/or performing legal review of transaction matters between the investment team and outside counsel on initial and follow-on investments. For our venture studio, this role involves leading legal review of venture studio transactions, providing legal counsel to our venture leads, leading execution on most compliance matters including regulatory filings, reviewing commercial and employment contracts, and coordinating legal efforts with outside counsel relating to venture and company activities.
This role may be ideal for an attorney with experience working with emerging technology companies who wants to transition to a position supporting multiple ventures and venture capital. This role will work closely with the firm’s Chief Compliance Officer, and investment team reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
- The ideal candidate will have ideally between 7-10 years qualified experience in a leading law firm or in-house corporate counsel, ideally with significant exposure to venture capital, early stage financing work and legal matters involving venture-backed technology companies.
- Experience in the commercial and regulatory space, gained ideally through a combination of law firm and in-house roles of increasing visibility and responsibility. Experience with BSP, AMLA, SEC, IC, Data Privacy and cybersecurity regulations is preferred.
- Have experience with the laws and regulatory framework related to payments, lending, investments and capital markets, insurance and banking.
- Prior experience with fintech companies is preferred.
- Solid experience with commercial contracts, whether negotiating from a commercial perspective or reviewing from a regulatory perspective, including leading negotiations or discussions with both large partners and small companies.
- Have experience navigating the application of evolving and sometimes overlapping regulations in a business context.
- Are an entrepreneur who sees ambiguity as opportunity, and obstacles as chances to build new solutions. Takes an interest in a variety of tasks to support UBX’s growth.
- Can successfully work independently with little guidance, but also uses good judgment and escalates issues when needed.
- Eager to collaborate and comfortable and effective at building strong relationships with people across a variety of functional teams, skill sets and levels of professional experience.
- Have a demonstrated drive for results, work ethic and ability to prioritize risks and projects to focus on what’s important, get things done, and seize opportunities.
- Meticulous attention to detail and excellent planning and organization skills.
- Ability to execute beyond core legal areas. Exhibits the potential to be a strategic business leader and a value-added partner to the investment and administrative teams across multiple areas.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Some financial and analytical capabilities are required.
- A passion and deep Interest in emerging technology companies and venture capital.